Xp Falcon Wiring

• 10 May 2021 7:58 AM
    Message # 10458392

Have an XP Falcon wiring loom that needs some modification 

1)  to get rid of a resistance wire so I get a full 12V to the coil

2) to change an Email alternator to a single wire Bosch

3) to change from a Prince of Darkness Starter to a later model

The loom is out of the car and exposed. 

I need recommendations of  a quality Sparkie to do the work. I am NOR but will travel. Who can I trust?

Warren. 0406880230

Last modified: 10 May 2021 9:04 AM | Anonymous member
  • 23 May 2021 9:52 AM
    Reply # 10537071 on 10458392
    Deleted user

Hello Warren,

There is a Auto electrician who advertises in the club magazine but I haven’t used him. Autoarms is a mobile electrician and was great with my 66 Mustang. Auto Spark in Joondalup are also good.

By chance are you related to a Don Hutchings who lived on Karrinyup Rd?

Don was a Mechanic at Lynford Motors and his Son was into early Falcons

Regards Alan Long

modeltford@iinet.net.au

• 24 May 2021 6:12 AM
    Reply # 10541194 on 10458392

Yes  Alan I am Don's son. I thought your name rang a bell as soon as I saw it. You were an apprentice at Lynford and did a BW35 for me when I wore younger man's clothes  (lived in North Perth if I recall). Dad aways had a bit  of time for you..good kid,  good student and good mechanic. Last time I had any contact was when you were at Borg Warner (Vic Park?) when I was putting a single rail in an XP. Anyway, very little has changed still mucking around with XP's and some other old Fords. (Dad would shake his head if I told him I was putting a Windsor in one). Will follow up your suggestions ...my problem is I know what Dad knew..he didn't know alot about sparkie stuff so I don't either. Seeya Warren.

• 26 May 2021 2:14 PM
    Reply # 10554792 on 10458392

Warren, My XP uses a bosch 55 amp alternator (off the shelf) and a bosch starter (the latest type without the ignition booster terminal which was replaced by a relay wired to supply 12v to the ign coil when the starter operates).

I do not subscribe to not having an ignition booster as the car starts much better with one. (The 7v resistor wire is incorporated into the loom and feeds the lucas BA7 coil.)

Also, my park/neutral switch does not work and is no longer available. It is replaced by a relay (hidden) which closes upon pressing the brake pedal and interrupts the wire to the stater solenoid. This is safer and more reliable.

• 28 May 2021 1:45 PM
    Reply # 10566829 on 10458392
    Deleted user

Hi Warren.

yes, your 100%correct and I clearly remember the Borg Warner single rail 4 speed that I 

delivered to Dons home and the $550 in the washing machine. I thought it was a XL but there you go. Can’t remember the BW35 job but I was in North Perth or Greenwood at that time. I remember Dons blue XK with the XP Futura dash. I had a grey  XL but sold it to a guy at BW when I bought the XY Fairmont (for $1500!). Regret also selling my XP 2 Door Futura in the early 80’s. I have a 66. Mustang Convertible and two Model T’s These days. Still live the XP’s  car of the year in 66

Alan  

• 28 May 2021 2:29 PM
    Reply # 10567013 on 10458392

You're correct about the XL. The single rail first went in an XL Squire then into an XP Sedan that I still have. Dad's XK came to me when he upgraded to an XA Fairmont. The wheels got driven off that thing until the rust ate it. I don't like thinking too much about the cars that have come and gone but still have a couple of XP's, a 56 Customline and an American 57 Ford Country Sedan. Pretty strange really. Dad didn't want me to be a mechanic but I suppose as a backyard hobby mechanic he would let it pass. Hutch 

• 6 Jun 2021 1:26 PM
    Reply # 10596561 on 10458392

Thxs for all the help/suggestions. Got what I wanted done with the sparkie expertise of Kevin from the club. Watching over Kevin's shoulder I now understand how the XP starter, charging and ignition systems did and now work. Thxs again. Hutch

© Copyright - 2019 Veteran Car Club of WA [Inc]. 265 Hale Road, Wattle Grove. WA 6107