Veteran & Classic Car Club of W.A.

Battery Location

• 22 May 2022 7:19 PM
    Message # 12789524

Hi there,

My 1952 Hillman Minx got the battery in the boot. I am not sure whether it was as per original design or one of the previous owner put it in the boot. Now, as it is in the boot and away from the engine, it is the largest battery (I guess so) due to the length and thickness of the cable from the boot to engine. I wonder if I can relocate the battery under the bonnet closer to the engine as that would help to reduce the size and weight of it. Is this worth a project? Thanks in advance for your help with this. 

• 23 May 2022 8:04 PM
    Reply # 12790245 on 12789524

Hi

I have a Rover the battery is under the rear seat.  Many English cars has battery under seats or in boot.  For your car it would be easy to find out google it.  If currently the battery is in its original position it should have some brackets or clamps to hold it down?  I cant see any reason why it would be moved.  My advice find out its original position and leave/move.

• 24 May 2022 8:07 AM
    Reply # 12791236 on 12789524
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

As Terry said, the location is probably original. You can do whatever you like. If there is room to fit it under the bonnet, it could simplify wiring and perhaps a modern smaller, higher power battery could be used, but it would damage the originality of the car.

• 24 May 2022 11:38 AM
    Reply # 12791386 on 12789524
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Can't really comment on the originality issue (I'm sure the guys in the Humber Rootes Section will know however) but the engineering fundamentals may be helpful in your decision. The physical size of a lead acid battery is determined by two things - cranking amperage is controlled by the internal resistance of the battery and the surface area of the plates defines this. So the higher the CCA rating the bigger the cross section of the battery. (Hight x Width).  The ampere hour (ie storage capacity) of the battery is a function of plate thickness and number of parallel plates in each cell. So the AH rating  of the battery generally will influence the length of the battery. 

Now voltage at the starter motor is the critical thing in terms of a battery located in the boot. This "voltage drop" may well be determining the size of the battery cables rather than current rating. Now this engine probably has a relatively modest starting current (low CCA) , so someone may have fitted a large battery (high CCA) to get rid of some battery internal resistance and help the voltage at the starter motor if the whole thing is a bit marginal. Make sure all of your terminations are clean and tight (battery and any crimp connections in the wiring) , the solenoid contacts not burnt and the starter brushes clean. If all of this is good then you MAY be able to use a smaller CCA rated battery more in line with the age of the car. Putting the battery in the engine bay obviously dramatically shortens the battery cable length so gets rid of voltage drop to the starter.

So why do people but batteries in the boot ? Well space (sometimes a problem in modern cars but probably not yours) , weight balance (not really a consideration here) but the big one is to this day lead acid batteries hate extremes of heat, cold and vibration. Cold they don't deliver their CCA and hot simply cooks them (remember, a battery is a chemical reaction) and vibration simply shakes the plates loose. So in terms of a long life getting them away from a hot engine bay and engine vibration is not a bad idea. Pros and cons either way.  Hope this helps.  

• 25 May 2022 8:03 AM
    Reply # 12792730 on 12789524

Thankyou all for your advise and guidance. The brackets and cabling are pretty good and seems original. But when I googled for Hillman Minx engine bay, quite a lot of images showing the battery there in the engine bay.

I can understand that heat and vibration issues. The engine bay get pretty hot and vibration is there as well.

Conclusion, I will leave as it is. 

PS: Bought a CTEK MXS 5.0A battery charger last Sunday. $159 before 20% discount at REPCO. Really good investment.

Last modified: 25 May 2022 10:13 AM | Anonymous member

© Copyright - 2019 Veteran Car Club of WA [Inc]. 265 Hale Road, Wattle Grove. WA 6107