Veteran & Classic Car Club of W.A.

FIAT Mephistopheles - help wanted

• 10 Aug 2022 12:48 PM
    Message # 12878776
    John Oldland (Administrator)

I am researching the history of the FIAT Mephistopheles and was wondering if your members are able to assist me with information about its time in Australia?

L. C. G. M. Le Champion brought the FIAT Mephistopheles to Australia in December 1925 and it was displayed at the FIAT agent Garratts Ltd , Elizabeth Street, Sydney premises.

There are two events I am seeking additional information about.

The first is did the car run at Maroubra? I am aware that the car did not race there but there is circumstantial evidence that it may have been tested there with the conclusion that the track was too tight for Mephistopheles’s long wheelbase and power preventing it showing its true performance. It is a possible that there is reference to this in William Boldiston’s book “ A Maroubra Speedway Scrapbook” Chapter 20 “The World’s fastest Car Here at Maroubra”. Unfortunately I have not been able to obtain a copy of this book as it is now out of print.

The second is the proposed match race against Don Harkness and his Hispano – Suiza engined  Minerva in which he had achieved 107 mph at Gerringong Beach in1925. The Match Race subsequently did not take place but I am interested in the specification of Harkness’s car and the possibility of obtaining a publishable picture of it.

Any additional information about Mephistopheles’s time in Australia would be of interest.

please Contact 
    Clive Roberts 
     cliveroberts146@outlook.com

© Copyright - 2019 Veteran Car Club of WA [Inc]. 265 Hale Road, Wattle Grove. WA 6107