Veteran & Classic Car Club of W.A.

Drum brakes need attention

• 19 Mar 2023 4:14 PM
    Message # 13136883
    Deleted user

Hi All,

I have a 1965 Ford Galaxie with a dragging left rear drum. From what I can see the leading shoe is dragging as it is wearing much more quickly than the trailing shoe. It has recently had new axle seals, wheel cylinders and new shoes (well one still looks relatively new!) fitted.

I've adjusted the shoes and made sure all springs are correctly located but by the time I get home from a longish drive (1.5 hrs) the left rear drum is squealing once again and noticeably hotter than the other three wheels. 

Can anyone recommend a good brake place to have the car looked at? 

Many thanks in advance!!

• 20 Mar 2023 9:47 AM
    Reply # 13137584 on 13136883

Can't help with a brake joint but I did have exactly the problem you described. New shoes, new cylinders on the back drums on an old heavy Ford then started dragging the left rear. After much head scratching I found it was a partially blocked rear flexible brake hose (body to hard line across the back of the diff). Pedal pressure was enough to actuate the cylinder but the return springs on the brake shoes were not strong enough to pull them off the drum once you took your foot off the pedal. May not be the solution to your problem (why it only mucked up my left rear and not my right as well??) but it sounds hydraulic ( dickie hose, dickie wheel cylinder..only working front shoe,etc) rather than mechanical (return springs put on wrong, hand brake self adjuster playing up,etc). Happy hunting!

• 20 Mar 2023 10:17 AM
    Reply # 13137604 on 13136883

Actually I can suggest a Brake business if NOR suits you.

HITECH, Prindiville Dr, Wangara Ph 93094466.

They have done alot of stuff for me over the years. Supplying shoes, cylinders, hoses. reconing boosters etc. Haven't put my car in the workshop but they like old stuff and are very knowledgeable.

• 24 Mar 2023 12:03 PM
    Reply # 13143315 on 13136883
    Deleted user

Warren thank you so much for the detailed information, suggestions and for recommending Hitech!!

I know exactly which flexible hose you are talking about and the last time I was under there it was looking worse for wear, a great place to start I think.

On the weekend I had my son operating the brake pedal and can see that both pistons are working on the wheel cylinder (what I failed to check was the return of the pistons now that I think about it...) so I'll take a look at the state of that hose.

Many, many thanks once again. Really helpful stuff, I'll let you know how I get on!

• 25 Mar 2023 7:47 AM
    Reply # 13144581 on 13136883

Good luck, pls let me know how you go. Warren

© Copyright - 2019 Veteran Car Club of WA [Inc]. 265 Hale Road, Wattle Grove. WA 6107