Veteran & Classic Car Club of W.A.

Carburettor Solex 30 PAAI-2

• 30 May 2020 10:50 AM
    Message # 9002300

My P3 75 uses this carburettor.

Droplets of fuel can be seen exiting the accelerator pump nozzles without using the accelerator. This causes the engine to run rough and back fire through the carburettor.

Does anyone know what causes this.

Regards, Ray Lilly

Last modified: 30 May 2020 11:49 AM | Anonymous member
  • 31 May 2020 10:44 AM
    Reply # 9004025 on 9002300

Dribbling from the accelerator pump discharge nozzle is generally caused by siphoning.

Somewhere at the top of the discharge circuit there should be a small bleed hole to prevent this.

Also, this web post may help.........

Any leaking, or dribbling is a problem. Make sure the pump discharge needle is in place and holding. To test, fill the bowl with fluid (mineral spirits) and while holding the needle down gently pump the accelerator. Fuel should not leak around the needle.

• 8 Jun 2020 10:33 PM
    Reply # 9022729 on 9002300

Hi Royce, Thanks for your reply.

I have changed the accelerator pump and the droplets have now ceased as long as I don't touch the accelerator.

However, when I do touch the accelerator quite large droplets are injected from the nozzles and spitting/backfiring follows almost immediately, through the carburettor.

I am unable to lean out the mixture even with both volume control screws almost fully home. 

Anyone know how I can limit the size of those droplets ?  

© Copyright - 2019 Veteran Car Club of WA [Inc]. 265 Hale Road, Wattle Grove. WA 6107